Why does a woman need hormones during and after menopause?
No matter what your age, if your female hormones (estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone) are unbalanced, you may suffer ill effects such as hot flashes, night sweats, depression, vaginal dryness, fatigue, and weight gain.
Why does a man need testosterone replacement?
As a man gets older, his testosterone declines. Testosterone is the hormone that maintains a man’s mental focus, his energy, his metabolism, his muscles, as well as keeps fat off and maintains strong bones. There is often concern that testosterone therapy may cause prostate cancer. The majority of the medical literature does not support this claim and your physician’s close medical supervision takes these risks into account depending on each individual’s personal health history.
What are the side effects associated with bioidentical hormones?
Because bioidentical hormones are just like the ones made in your body, there are relatively few side effects. Side effects occur mainly when the dosage of hormones is too high for the individual. The BEST Program monitors and evaluates each patient consistently to assure balanced dosage.
How long until I see results using bioidentical hormones?
While it varies with each person, and depends on which hormone therapy you are using, generally you can expect to see results within three to six months.
What is the best age to consider bioidentical hormone therapy?
At the BEST Program we believe that most people should have their hormones checked by the age of 40 or earlier if they have symptoms of hormonal loss. The way to prevent illness and to optimize one’s health is to take an active role in addressing health care risks before they become a problem.
Do I need to take these hormones forever?
No. If you decide to stop, your body will simply return to where it was before starting hormone therapy.
Will this treatment interfere with my currently prescribed medications?
Generally not. Some medications may actually be reduced or no longer needed.
Will you take over as my doctor?
Although we are happy to communicate with your current physician, we encourage you to continue your usual visits with him or her.
Can the BEST Program use lab work I have already done?
Yes. Bring along any lab work, bone density, mammograms, PAP smears or other diagnostic tests done in the past year. We do not need the actual x-rays or ultrasounds, only the report. This will help us in deciding what further tests you need to start on your way to better health and hormonal balance.
Is it covered by my health insurance?
This depends on your health insurance. At the BEST Program although we do not bill directly to insurance, we supply you with an invoice to submit your claim for reimbursement to your insurance company. A number of lab tests or medications may be covered by your health insurance. However, patients cannot submit these bills to Medicare or Medicaid.
Hormones: what they are and their functions
- Decreases body fat
- Increases muscle mass
- Improves tissue healing and protein synthesis
- Increases bone density
- Quicker illness recovery
- Increases capacity to exercise
- Increase skin hydration and elasticity
- Improves sense of well being
- Decreases incidence of illness
- Improved mood
- Improved sleep
The male hormone
- Improves brain function
- Increases energy
- Increase strength
- Increases bone density
- Increases libido
- Improves sexual sensitivity
- Improves sexual function
- Improves HDL and LDL cholesterol levels
- Improves cardiovascular health
known as the “mother of all hormones” (Most prevalent hormone in the body)
- Improves neurological function
- Increases sense of well being
- Improves immune function
- Improves stress tolerance
- Increases metabolism
the female hormone
- Protects against heart disease, stroke
- Decreases cholesterol
- Lowers incidence of Alzheimer’s
- Improves memory
- Alleviates symptoms of menopause: headaches, mood swings, bloating, hot flashed, fatigue, waning libido
the hormone of pregnancy
- Protects against breast and uterine cancer
- Protects against fibrocystic disease
- Helps fat metabolism
- Helps normalize blood sugar
- Helps reverse osteoporosis
- Helps thyroid hormone function
- Acts as a natural antidepressant
- Protects against nervousness
- Protects against anxiety and irritability
the hormone of metabolism
- Increase energy
- Increases fat burning and controls weight
- Increases your heart rate
- Increases your appetite
the hormone of storage
- Responsible for getting blood sugar into all cells
- Increases fat storage
- Increases risk of diabetes, hypertension, and stroke
the hormone of sleep
- Responsible for maintaining sleep
- Helps alleviate “jet-lag”
- Improves mood
- Improves the immune system (by decreasing cortisol)
- Most potent anti-oxidant hormone
the hormone of stress
- Responsible for responding to stress
- Helps protect you against environment (allergens)
- Mobilizes energy, improves fatigue
- Increases your appetite for sugar
- Decreases bone mass, muscle mass, and slows down your metabolism
If you have additional questions, or would like to schedule a consultation, we welcome you to reach out to us! You can email The BEST Program or give us a call at 866-987-2378. We look forward to speaking with you.